Citrus Fennel and Avocado Salad
Fresh citrus in a bowl layered with thinly slivered fennel slices, avocado slices and shallot slivers.
- 2 1/2-3# of assorted citrus: navel oranges, mandarin oranges, blood orange, etc 1/2 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and slice
- 1/2 shallot, peeled and thinly slice
- 1 lg or 2 small cooked beets, thinly sliced: I like both yellow and dark purple
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP champagne vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c. pistachios
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Reserved fennel frond
- Slice the peels off the citrus and place in a bowl or on a serving plate. Layer with thinly slivered fennel slices. Add avocado, shallot and beets.
- In a small bowl, slowly whisk the olive oil into the champagne vinegar until emulsified. Add the honey and whisk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad. Top with pistachios, crumbled cheese and fennel fronds